Comfort and Safety
Apollo Blinds considers the safety of its window coverings a top priority, and making products safer for homes is an integral part of our design philosophy.
We are committed to adhering to the new European EN 13120 standard as a minimum safety requirement. We are continuously developing new products to help reduce the risk of accidents, and you may have noticed changes to some blinds in line with the new European standard.
Buyers and users of blinds should be aware of the hazards that can be posed by unrestrained cords, braids, loop chains and wires, which may be hazardous to young children, pets and vulnerable people. The following guidelines should always be considered:
- Young children can be strangled by loops in the pull cords, chains, tapes and inner cords that operate the product. They can also wrap cords around their necks.
- To avoid strangulation and entanglement, keep cords out of the reach of young children, pets and vulnerable people.
- Move beds, cots and furniture away from window-covering cords.
- Do not tie cords together. Make sure cords do not twist and create a loop.
- Install and use the safety devices according to the installation instructions on these devices to reduce the possibility of such an accident.
Cord and chain operations
If you prefer a cord or endless chain, safety for your child is increased with extra safety devices. All Apollo Blinds products are supplied with cord or chain safety devices.
- Cord cleats and tensioners enable any cords or chains to be fastened to the wall - out of the reach of children. A breakaway chain connector makes sure that any loop in the chain will break when an excessive force is pulling on the chain.
- A cord cleat is supplied with every product that has pull cords. Be aware that these need to be installed at a minimum height of 1.5 metres from the floor.
- A chain tensioner is supplied with every product that has an operating chain.
- Detailed instructions of how to install the devices in a safe manner are always attached to the blind.
- A warning tag that highlights the dangers to children is attached to every cord- or chain-operated blind, and these warnings are also repeated in the installation instructions that come with the product.
Apollo Blinds has been working closely with the British Blinds and Shutters Association's Make It Safe Campaign. Your local Apollo Blinds will have more information on this and will also be able to provide expert advice on all of Apollo Blinds' products.